13 May Interesting animal facts for the weekend
The natural world is a wild and incredible place full of fellow creatures large and small. Here is a list of 20 of the most fascinating animal facts we could find.
- A duck’s quack doesn’t echo – no one knows why
- Housefly’s hum in the key of F
- Cows can sleep standing up but can only dream if they are laying down.
- Squirrels forgetting where they buried their nuts results in hundreds of trees growing per year.
- As they sleep, otters hold hands so they don’t drift apart.
- Goats, like people, have accents, according to studies.
- The husk of a narwhal is really just a really long front tooth — not a “unicorn” horn.
- Flamingoes aren’t born pink. The color develops as a result of eating algae, larvae, and shrimp every day.
- Slugs have 4 noses.
- Blue whales have veins that are large enough for a human to swim through, and their hearts weigh about 1,300 pounds.
- Earth is home to 1 quadrillion ants.
- A snail can sleep for 3 years at a time.
- One species of jellyfish is biologically immortal as it can continually repair itself.
- Only female mosquitoes bite.
- Butterflies taste with their feet.
- A grizzly bear’s bite can crush a bowling ball.
- Female lions do 90% of the hunting
- Dolphins have names for one another.
- Cats recognize their own name but choose not to respond.
- Petting a dog lowers blood pressure, for both the person and the dog.
Bonus fact from our friendly social media guy: Even though by modern standards cats are considered emotionless and evil pests, they were once revered and kept as domestic animals in ancient Egypt.
We hope you enjoyed this article. For more subSpace blog content click HERE